What is a personal injury?
A personal injury is an injury to person or property due to the carelessness, or negligence, of another. Personal injuries can be caused by a variety of factors, but listed below are the most common sources of personal injury handled by Bass Law:
- Automobile Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Truck Accidents
Do I need an attorney?
While you can handle the claim yourself, you should take advantage of the free consultations offered by Bass Law to determine if we can be of assistance to you. Unless you are well schooled in the law, settlement negotiations and proving your claim, you will likely find the process to be rather confusing and intimidating. Further, any decisions you make without counsel could adversely affect you and your ability to pursue your legal rights.
When should I hire an attorney?
It is important to hire an attorney as soon as possible. Once the accident occurs, the insurance company begins investigating the case. The sooner you have someone representing you, running interference for you with the claims adjuster and accumulating the evidence necessary to successfully pursue your claim, the better chance you have of getting better compensation for your injuries and other damages.
What if I am contacted by an insurance company or investigator?
We recommend that you not discuss your injury or the way in which it happened with anyone until you have consulted an attorney. Also, if you sign any papers or agree to any settlement before speaking with an attorney, this could affect your ability to recover full compensation for your injuries.
How long do I have to file or make a claim for personal injuries?
Each state sets a specific time period during which a person must bring a personal injury claim. Both the length of that period and the way it is measured in accident cases varies from state to state. Even within a state, the time period may vary depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, such as the injured person’s age, the type of personal injury claim, the particular facts giving rise to the injury and when the injury is discovered. You must be absolutely certain that you know the time limitation period that applies to you or you risk jeopardizing your legal rights.
How do I pay for an attorney to help me?
Like many law firms, Bass Law will take cases on a contingency basis. This means that the attorney’s fee is subtracted from the amount that the firm collects for you. If no amount is recovered, then the firm receives no fee. The attorney will front all of the necessary expenses to get your case in a position to be settled or tried.
What is my case worth?
Each case is unique. Because of this, you should be wary of anyone who tries to tell you the value of your claim until your case has been fully investigated and your medical condition has stabilized. Full compensation may include payment for medical bills, pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of ability to enjoy life, lost wages and diminished earning capacity.
Can my attorney settle my case without my consent?
No. Any settlement or other resolution of your claim must come with your consent. Recommendations of whether to settle or not are made, but the ultimate decision to settle lies with you. At Bass Law, we provide our clients with a detailed breakdown of what the potential settlement means in terms of dollars in your pocket after payment of attorney’s fees and reimbursement of expenses so that you can make an informed decision as to whether to settle your case.
Do all personal injury claims go to trial?
No. In fact, many personal injury claims are settled with the insurance company. However, if a settlement offer is inadequate, we have the experience necessary to handle your case all the way through trial.
What happens if I do not file my claim for personal injuries within the time period that the law specifies?
Absent special considerations or facts, your claim may be barred forever.
What is a wrongful death claim?
A wrongful death claim is a claim against an individual or organization for an unnecessary death due to misconduct or negligence. Some of the most common examples of wrongful deaths are deaths caused by drunk or reckless drivers, deaths caused by defective products and deaths caused by a medical misdiagnosis.
Who can bring a wrongful death claim?
The wrongful death statute, like that of most states, establishes a hierarchy of immediate family members that may bring a wrongful death claim. Therefore, it is important to consult with an attorney to determine if you are eligible to assert a wrongful death action.
Do I need an attorney to file a wrongful death claim?
While you can handle the claim yourself, you should take advantage of the free consultations offered by Bass Law to determine if we can be of assistance to you.
How long do I have to pursue a wrongful death claim?
Wrongful death cases are governed by the statute of limitations which essentially provides time limits within which a case must be filed. These limitation periods vary in length. When the time begins and ends is based on the facts and circumstances surrounding a particular case and the unique facts of that case. If you fail to comply with any of these deadlines, it typically means that your claim is completely barred regardless of the merits of your case. Even if you have not decided whether to pursue a wrongful death claim, it is extremely important to get immediate legal advice to avoid missing any of these critical deadlines.
How do I pay for an attorney to help me?
Like many law firms, Bass Law will take cases on a contingency basis. This means that the attorney’s fee is subtracted from the amount that the firm collects for you. If no amount is recovered, then the firm receives no fee. The attorney will front all of the necessary expenses to get your case in a position to be settled
What compensation is available in a wrongful death claim?
The wrongful death statute expressly provides that a decedent may recover “the full value of the life of the decedent without deducting for any of the necessary or personal expenses of the decedent had he lived.” This language essentially means that a wrongful death lawsuit may include compensation for the following:
- Medical costs
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost wages (including anticipated future earnings)
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Consortium (loss of services and companionship)
- Punitive damages (in appropriate cases)
- She “fought like a bulldog!” Would not accept a low offer from the adjuster. I was quite pleased with the settlement!
- Dondra Bass O'Neal and Bass Law were incredibly responsive, immediate, concise, professional and respectful. Should I require assistance in the future, this is who I go to!
- In the handling of my accident and injury case, I found Mrs. Bass O'Neal both thorough and efficient in gaining a settlement that is very pleasing.
- Not only did Bass Law change my life but she also saved it. You gave me confidence through your integrity!
- Attorney Dondra was always easy to contact by phone or email. She reached out to update me on my case as much as possible. Thank you guys so much. I appreciate you and your firm's excellent service!
- The whole process was pleasant and easy. She worked hard on our case and got us the most that we possibly could and what we deserved.
- I would like to take this opportunity to extend my appreciation for your superior performance and hard work during my case. I highly recommend you to anyone who needs a good, professional attorney. Keep up the good work!
- Excellent. Hate having legal problems but when and if I do, you're the one I'm gonna call!
- I really appreciated the constant feedback with updates on my case. I also appreciated her acting on my behalf with my property claim as well.
- You were so very caring and made me feel confident that my case would be handled at your earliest convenience. You made me not be afraid to express myself, or worry about my transportation problems. You were my mouthpiece and treated me like a family friend. You took the stress and anxiety away because I was in a domestic violence shelter twice during my case. You were so professional along with whomever was helping at the time. It was a job "well done." Thanks a million!
- This was the second case Bass Law has handled for me. I was very happy with the results in both cases. I would recommend them to anyone that needs legal help.
- I found Ms. Bass to be very knowledgeable in motor vehicle accident claims and felt very comfortable due to her practicing in Florida and Georgia.
- I think she is one of the excellent lawyers of this time and years of this decade and to come.
- Dondra provided excellent, comprehensive legal assistance. In the courtroom, she was confident, competent and in control. More importantly, one on one, she was compassionate and understanding which made the whole process far less intimidating than it would have been.
- Very positive woman! She kept me updated and in high spirits! She came through with all she said and got me the best outcome possible! I am very thankful and blessed for Mrs. O'Neal!